It's the End of the World As We Know It...

So, at some point today, the world is supposed to end. At least that's what I keep hearing. I really hope it's not true, because I work all day and I really don't want to die at work. That would suck. A lot.

Besides, I would really like to finish my book before the world is overrun with flesh-eating Zombies.

Right now, I'm just over 75k on my WiP. Which means that, over the last few days, I've added about 6k. The problem is, I had an outline. I had a very detailed, scene-by-scene outline. But my characters have decided not to heed this outline. No, they'd much rather make it up as they go. So I've written myself into corner after corner after corner and I'm about a hundred more wrong words away from tearing my hair out.

So, how about you? Where will you be when the world ends today? Have your characters ever gone off script? How did you manage to get back on track?